Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Don Rex Looks Hot in a Kilt

A few weeks back, Flourish and Blume had a jaunt to our favourite seaside spot where our trusty traveling companion lives when she's not on the move. We were on our way to the pub in the dark through the pouring rain and parked in front of a skip that had some interesting legs sticking out the top of it. The next day when the sky cleared...


One rocker and one TV chair, same arms, same construction, one label - Don Rex (the best things in life are free). I inherited a kilt a couple of years ago that is never going to fit me so I'm keeping the rocker and it's going to wear a kilt (one day soon).


A short time after the few weeks back, we dropped that Cintique lounge suite off and detoured off to Bellingen (my first visit, Katie's first visit goes six generations back) and I spotted this vintage ankle length kilt flouncing its pleats at me. In my opinion, the kilt is the perfect object - it seamlessly combines culture, fine craft work and brilliant design.


The chair was truly stripped this time, the piece of old rag that was tied around the front of the frame was a pair of knickers. A very old pair of knickers... for comfort... maybe not such a perfect object.



the process among the pansies...


Don Rex wears a kilt, buckles and all.




We weren't quite ready to leave our new chair when we'd only just finished it, so it took all the boot and one seat in the back and came with us. Now sitting in Reverse Garbage, hanging with the cool stuff, in Taylor Square waiting for a kilt lover.

10 comments:

Serendips said...

That chair now looks Dead Sexy!

Nic said...

As a Scot, it's nice to see a kilt being put to good use!

Blanca Luz said...

Fantastic work!

flourish and blume said...

Ooo yes; Absolutely and Thanks!

Naturally Carol said...

What a rockin' great chair now! But those bloomers..haha! I haven't seen any of those since seeing my grandmother's washing on the line many years ago.

Shannon Garson said...

Found your blog through Miss Prue Morrison. I love what you do (and you are very brave to handle ancient undies- who knew upholstering could contain such items?) You've inspired me to upholster some old dining chairs I had hanging around under the house. not as nice as yours , but if you ever think of doing a one day workshop i'd love to come.

flourish and blume said...

Those bloomers are going in a frame I tell you, they're like nothing I've ever seen. Not as bad as finding a dead rat in a couch though, can't even bring myself to blog about that one!

Anonymous said...

geez thats a beautiful chair

a jane day. said...

such a fan of your work! can't wait for the next unveiling!

Unknown said...

Just found your blog and so thrilled I did! I am for sure becoming a new follower...Pulling up a comfy chair so I can keep scrolling back! Xoxo.