Friday, May 20, 2011

Fit for a Greek Goddess

We picked these babies up from the Tender Centre and wish now that we'd got the other two. Alas, space has become such an issue (we're expecting the 'Hoarders' TV crew to arrive at any minute) and they were in such poor condition that we knew they would be a big job. Here they are in a processional stage of undress from fully clothed on the front lawn to 1st layer off on the front verandah, then stripped to the bone in the backyard. Wish I could be so bold on a hot day but I don't want to frighten the neighbours.






We wanted to do something a bit different with these and got very excited when we came across the Greek Goddess with the mostest, Thea & Sami, her fabulous linen range and her gorgeous hand screenprints (she's also a supreme blogger, you can visit her blog here). So we went with something very femme, pink actually, and asked Thea if she could do some custom printing on it with her beautiful 'Marguerite' design. It arrived in a blink of an eye.



Here she is getting her first fitting. And below, the final result.



We didn't think the yellow tones of Danish Oil on teak would have blended so well with the pink so we lime-washed the wood and then Danish Oiled it and were very happy with the result. We've used neutral linen for the piping, borders of the cushion and back of the chair and nickel tack detailing for a bit of bling. Stay tuned for more photos to come in Elissa's shop, Evoke.

16 comments:

shopgirl said...

This is an awesome transformation! I love reading about your refurbishing process!

Cheers!

Thea said...

Brilliant as always! I've shared the love on my blog too. Can't wait to meet you both! xx

petals and vintage said...

I have come over from Thea's blog. OMG you girls are good. This looks so good with Thea's print on pink linen.

Pam x

Mrs Chicken said...

Hi there :) followed through from Thea's post, but had actually seen your previous work through the evoke website recently, on an internet journey that had originated from Umbrella Print's blog :) I am SO jealous at your capabilities - I have two old chairs - rescued from the side of the road - and begging for a face lift. One will be a simple matter of purchasing new foam for back and seat, and upholstering, but the other, which has gorgeous timber arms, has the vinyl built in arrangement, and I just can't work out how I would do it myself - so might just have to wait til i have some spare cash and have it done professionally. Will follow your fantastically inspirational blog though!!

Le said...

oh how fab - just a delight and they look so right !! le xox

Ange said...

Visiting from Thea's blog and have just enjoyed checking out your blog :o) I am just a hobby upholsterer and learn as I go. It's always good to see how the experts do it! I've just posted about a chair I finished. You're welcome to take a look :o)
Angex

Raine and Sage said...

Also discovered you via Thea's blog. What a stunning chair transformation! Very impressive, and gorgeous. Well done!

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Looks amazing, great work girls!! Yes, Thea held my hand & lead me to you too, love Posie

Unknown said...

Looks great, love Thea's fabrics too and the Marguerite is one of my fav designs :)

Mainichi said...

Love what you gals are doing - discovered you via Thea's blog.....so envious of your beautiful furniture restorations!

flourish and blume said...

Thanks so much to our followers and visitors from Thea's blog for all your lovely comments, it gives us a real buzzzzzz!! Laura and Katie :-)

Nikki Shipard-Watson said...

amazing work girls. great custom order of fabric from thea & sami and the lime washed timber is a match made in heaven.

Andrea said...

Hi there, I'm loving the restorations - and wondering whether you do restoration classes!! I have a few chairs myself waiting in the wings for restoration but don't have the skills!

Naturally Carol said...

I have come over from Thea's blog too..and now am your follower! I have just taken a walk through your last few posts and am totally enamoured with the work you do.

NessaKnits said...

I've just seen a chair on Bexterity PinUp Photography (on Facebook) which is at Ingleburn in Sydney, which is very similiar to this chair. Apparently she is having a garage sale on the 25-26th June. Might be worth a look. Just a suggestion.

flourish and blume said...

@ Andrea, we have been thinking about classes as we are getting a few requests but where would we find the time!!!!! Thanks for the tip NessaKnits.